Sunday 18 August 2013

Chocolate Adventures: Part 2

The whole reason I decided to make the chocolate spread, was so I could make Toasted Marshmallow and Nutella Cookies, so that was today's project.



Ingredients



MetricImperial
Chocolate Chip CookiesChocolate Chip Cookies
125g plain flour4½ oz plain flour
70 g butter (softened)2 ½ oz butter (softened)
1 egg1 egg
50 g soft brown sugar (Demerara)2 oz soft brown sugar (Demerara)
50 g superfine / caster sugar2 oz superfine / caster sugar
110 g chocolate chips (see notes)4 oz chocolate chips (see notes)
50 g chopped hazelnuts2 oz chopped hazelnuts
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Those are the ingredients for cookies, and then all you'll need to add to that is marshmallows (or "marshrooms" as my sister says) and the chocolate spread of your choice.
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and both sugars.  (I used self-raising flour, so didn't need the baking soda)
3. Cream the butter, and add to the mixture.
4. Crack the egg into a cup, add the vanilla, and beat.  Pour the egg/vanilla mixture into the mixing bowl.
5. Stir the mixture together.  You can use a mixer on a low speed, but it's quite easy without.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.  I used chocolate buttons, and probably should have chopped them up, but it worked just fine in button form!
7. Take heaping tablespoons of the dough and place them on the greased cookie sheets a few inches apart to allow for spreading. Gently flatten the cookies with your fingers making an indentation in the middle of each one. Place a small dollop of chocolate spread in the center of each cookie, then top with a marshmallow that has been snipped in half with kitchen scissors (or cut with a knife, which is how I did it).
8. Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes. If you are baking more than one tray at a time, switch the top tray with the bottom tray halfway through so that they all bake evenly. They are done when the marshmallows are melted and golden brown and the bottoms of the cookies are slightly darker.
9. The cookies will be a bit soft when fresh out of the oven, use a spatula to carefully transfer them to a wire cooling rack until firm enough to serve.
They will keep in an airtight container at room temp for a week or two. Makes approximately 2 dozen cookies.

Once again, I used "Pure" Dairy-Free Sunflower Spread and Dairy-Free Buttons (brown and white chocolate).  I also used my home-made dairy-free chocolate spread.
I only made 1 tray of marshmallow cookies, as I wasn't sure how they'd turn out.  My other tray was ordinary cookies, just in case!

Be warned, photos of the cookies follow.  Go ahead and laugh, I know I did!



The marshmallow cookies certainly won't win any beauty contests, but then again, neither will my normal cookies!


The woman on the blog I got the recipe had much prettier ones.  Not sure what happened, but it's the taste that counts, and they are quite nice.  They're not quite marshmallowy enough for me, so I'll have to try and fix that next time.  I'll update with the verdict from my fussy siblings soon!

All the best,
Charli

No comments:

Post a Comment